Saturday, October 21, 2017

Chores, canning and hard chores to face

We woke up with a wee bit of chill on the air.  Dude was cold so I got up, cleaned the stove and got ready to warm up the house. 


I start fires different than Dude and, as he watched me, he found they work great.  I save toilet paper rolls and dryer lint..  I stuff the dryer lint into the roll. 


Add a combination of newspaper, fire starter wood (smaller pieces of wood), and put my rolls tightly in between the wood and light. 


It worked great!


Then out to feed. The wind was harsh and cold this morning and most of the day. 


I did manage to feed everyone without incident. The night feeding was not so easy. 


Came in, washed up and made biscuits, eggs and gravy. Then headed to the grocery store for pectin. I planned on canning today. 



Family came over in the afternoon. 
We were so happy to see kids and grandkids today.  Seriously, family bring faster healing. 



During their visit , I began making jalapeño jelly.  I found a recipe that had a slightly different technique than I am used to, so I wanted to try it.   You can find the recipe here .







They turned out perfect. I made two batches of five.  It jelled on the first try.  


The evening didn't go as well. 
The last two days I have been searching for our sweet cat,  Ginger. 



I even got so worried last night I got up at 1am, dressed and went looking for her.  ....nothing. 
This morning, on the way to the store, I found her.  She had been hit on the side of the road. I had to suck it up and get her into a box to bury her.  Not a good thing but I did it. 

Later it was time for the evening feed. This feed is suppose to be easy since I just give everyone a little bit of hay. Right off the bat, I opened the first corral and the doe kid got out. She has no collar . I fed everyone and went back to get her in.  Boy, that was quite a workout. She ran around, twisting and turning.  Finally, I took a large feed bucket and managed to steer her in the pen. 

Tired. 
Time for a bath and put a movie in. 

Dude is healing nicely with his recent surgery. He has been up most of the day, walking around and supervising me (wink).  He has avoided taking his pain meds. 

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment