Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Staying healthy

One of the big things living on a homestead is you have to be healthy and fit. I have had my fair share of challenges but you have to keep trying and do what you can to stay healthy. 

Exercise - I thought because we gardened and worked with the animals it would be enough but often times we are getting no aerobic type exercise.  I used to be a runner and then kids came and my time was for them and put myself aside.  As they got older we  we ran and entered 5k races together when they were in high school or went hiking, or swimming. We even took yoga classes together - three generations, me , mom and one of my sons. Now they are grown and grandchildren are arriving I need to be fit.  I started walking with a goal of 10,000 steps a day with 15 minutes of yoga. Dude is very fit with farming and construction work. 
Here was my morning.  Yoga and the treadmill. 

We are working on eating better...well, I am. Dude eats what I make with a large side of  ice cream. 
Monday, Wednesday and Friday I try to make vegetarian meals.  Today is tofu stir-fry with veggies from the garden. 

All this is from our garden and it is amazing how much you can get from a small amount of veggies. I have two meals for work and one for Dude.  Oh, you know, he has to have some form of meat. I got him a steak out for his dinner to go along with the stir-fry. 



I love these containers for my lunch/dinner. 


I did top the stir-fry with cashews. 


I did have a little time to weed. Yes, they are real and we have no garden gnomes to come and clear them out for me. (Dude didn't know what a gnome was. When I showed him he said, "why do I want a Santa in my garden?! oiy) The weeds are taking over.
 

For me, it's a good time for praying and thinking, for Dude it's a good time for cussing (smile) over how hard the ground it , how we need rain, or how many weeds we have.  I was just grateful he stopped to help before heading out to mend the fence . We got the whole herb garden done in one swoop. 



It is starting to drizzle a bit of rain and I need to hit the road. 
Take care of each other. 
peace, health, and happiness 



No comments:

Post a Comment