Saturday, August 20, 2016

Canning Pickles and Mr Buttons makes an entrance

Our day was super busy.  We went to town for a kraut burger to start the day.  

Then home to finish  our fall cleaning. Dusted, cleaned , pulled furniture out and vacuumed couches. Man, it was tiring.  Next was a quick 20 minute nap and then canning pickles. Today I made dill - whole and sliced. I am pooped. 


I bought a bushel of pickle cucumbers. I canned about 3/4 of them.


Dill from the garden.


Our garlic.



In the middle of it all Mr Man thinks he is 13 again and brought Mr Buttons in the house. I immediately put a stop to that!



Back to the pickles. I like garlic and dill in the jars first.





Packed them in tight. 









I worked in batches. 8.5 cups of water, 4.25 cups of white vinegar, 1/2 cup pickling salt, handful of peppercorn, handful of dill seed from the garden. Boil up and remove from the heat. In each sterile jar I put a couple cloves of garlic and a dill weed. A few jars were spiked with hot pepper flakes. Pack tight with pickles. Pour the pickling brine over, put on sterilized  seals and rings. Since we are at higher sea level I water bathed mine for 20minutes.
25 jars canned.  Time to eat and sit for a bit and relax. 
Hope you had a great day. 

peace, health, and happiness.






No comments:

Post a Comment