Thursday, April 14, 2016

Spring cleaning, snacks and sewing day 10

It was just one of those days where it seemed nothing was going quite well.  I attempted candied lemon rinds. My Grandma Winters made them and candied ginger. I loved them. So I thought I would give them a try...FAIL!... they turned hard. I called my mom and told her I failed at the candied rinds and she said - oh were you multitasking?  No.  Then she told me about a time when she was younger, making candy fruit rinds and cleaning at the same time. She went to put the laundry in and came back to put the sugar in the water for the rinds. Later she found she had put in the washing powder instead of sugar when it all bubbled up.   My fail wasn't that bad but I will try again tomorrow. Dude is juicing so much lately we will have lemon rinds for the next few days.

I will use these for tea.


I did get a bunch of carrots into the dehydrator.




We are spring cleaning. Last week we cleaned out our closets.  This week it's the pantry. We are only clearing one shelf at a time. Today was the herb , spice and baking shelves.  Take everything out, clean the shelf and throw away anything old, expired or that we shouldn't eat. Give away or throw away. It is amazing how great it is to get rid of stuff. I will tackle another shelf tomorrow.
(I am sure Dude will tell me to get rid of the sprinkles...sadness)

I still need to go through this drawer.


Shelf of food we dehydrate.


Then I made some awesome popcorn mixture. I like to find ways to use my herbs.  This one I used my dried chives.  On a recent  YaYa Farmgirls field trip we went to an Asian Market and one of the things I purchased was Furikake. When I looked up how to use it I came up with this snack.  The recipe is Roy Choi's Furikake Kettle Corn found  here . I bought the kettle corn and made the rest of the recipe. Mix it up and it is FABULOUS!




I moved on to try sewing. I picked something very simple but the interfacing I tried made it all too stiff and I couldn't turn it. Another bit of a fail today.


So I went outside and did poo-girl duty.  Yep, went and cleaned up dog and cat poop from every where.  The sunshine was nice and lifted my spirits plus anything I attempt now will be better than pooper scooper duty!

Sewing Challenge Day 10
The dog and I took a trip to the library and came back with new books on CD.  I popped a book in to listen and tried again at sewing.  These are Chapstick holders I found at Make it & Love it.  After I made them I thought if I made them a little bigger you can use them for an ID when walking or for essential oil that you might want to carry with you. You can clip them on to your belt loop, purse, keychains...anywhere and not lose them.



Time to make dinner - kielbasa and sweet peppers, apple salad and BLT salad with garbanzo beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment