Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A little bit of gardening, a dog story and Day 9 of Sewing Challenge

Homesteading is often hard and messy. The dog, who is always with me, would not come in the house last night. I knew something was up when I looked in the doghouse and she gave a low growl. Hmmm something was up.  I got up around 2am and looked out she was still in her doghouse looking suspicious.  This morning she finally came out leaving a bedraggled lavender orpington hen in her house. She didn't kill it , just roughly slept with it (in dog terms it was a major cuddle fest).  Errr. We popped the little thing back in the chicken yard. I have no idea how the dog got her.  Everything is back to normal...but as Whoopi Goldberg says, "Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine"

When I told my mom what happened she told me a story of when she was little and her family dog, Tuffy, had gotten into a mean and ugly fight.  It literally came home with it's inners hanging out. Her mom, who I know as a little old woman always dressed impeccably and usually in pearls with a sharp wit about her, set out to save the dog. My grandmother had been taking a first aid class during World War II.  She got out the kit they had given her, clean the dogs wounds and sewed him up.  Can you imagine!?  Pretty bold.  Folks back then were resourceful. They didn't have time to freak out. They just knew they had to do whatever to get things done and did it.  My grandmother was something else.

I worked in the greenhouse and herb garden for a bit.



I got the turkeys out of their pen. They come right to me to be let out and then follow me everywhere.



They didn't even know they were standing on two worms!

I put the turkeys back in their home (they were not happy about that and yelled at me to come back).

Next up,  I had to weed this overgrown herb garden  and garden for peas. The mint is already getting out of control. I need to discipline it a bit. I am a bit behind but still working slowly back to my old self.


The gardens were full of worms, a very good sign.


Sewing Challenge Day 9
I had a bunch of appointments today and a lot of waiting, so I worked on hand sewing. I didn't get much done but I worked on hexies.


It was very warm today.  Okay, in the seventies but that's warm for us. This weekend we are due for another storm. The weather-peeps aren't sure if it will be a humdinger of a rain storm or another blizzard.  We are prepping either way!

Peace, Health and Happiness!




No comments:

Post a Comment