Thursday, December 6, 2018

Day 6 Cherry brownies, Honey oatmeal bread and something for tomorrow's feast day!

Today is the Feast of St Nicholas.  I wanted to make something special to bring to work. I had a good box brownie mix, put in the ingredients suggested on the box and then added two hefty tablespoons of maraschino cherries and 1/4 cup of the juice.   Bake as directed. 


They turned out wonderful. I was so afraid it would taste metallic or something but it didn't. 


OHmy , my last jar of our homegrown honey. 


So I made bread machine honey oatmeal bread.   It turned out dense and small. I thought it was a flop but decided to give it a try... oh what a delight. 


Here is what I put in the machine and the order:

1/2 cup warm water
1Tablespoon vegetable oil
4 teaspoons of honey
1/4 of cup of quick oats
1 1/4 cup bread flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
a package of quick rise yeast. 


Tomorrow is the Feast of St Ambrose, the patron saint of bees. 
From Catholic.org
"Ambrose was born around 340 AD to a Roman Christian family. He grew up with his siblings, Satyrus and Marcellina, in Trier, Belgic Gaul (present-day Germany). It is believed by many that when Ambrose was just an infant, a swarm of bees landed on his face and left behind a drop of honey. To his father, this was a sign that Ambrose would become someone great with a wonderful sense for speaking."

With that I made a bee ornament to celebrate.


okay... so I have to work on it... giggle.

peace 


No comments:

Post a Comment