Thursday, July 18, 2019

Vacation to higher altitude, how they garden plus beets, beets and more beets

The first half of the week we decided to head up the mountain to see how things are grown and what animals people raise.  We went to Steamboat Springs which is in the northwest area of the state and closer to Wyoming. Oh, and because it is Dude's favorite paradise place.


There is still snow along our route. Yes, this is July. 


A big sport, besides kayaking, paddle boards and tubing, is fishing. 


Steamboat usually has 4 months of winter. This year they had 6! The runoff is strong. 



They don't have the vicious windd we have out on the plains due to the protection of the mountains.


We did see a herd of Alpine goats, one of our favorites. Along with some llamas and sheep. I met some fellow yarn loves and they pointed to Yampa Valley for sheep herders who raise lambs for wool. Spinning wool is growing up here in popularity.


It is hay cutting time. 


So cool seeing the ski runs in the summer. 


Greenhouse growing was seen everywhere away from the town.  Where your garden is planted matters in high altitude growing.  Planting with southern exposure is important. Those who live in Denver know the frustrations of buying a north facing home... it takes the snow a long time to melt.  Raised beds are another handy move to use in the mountains and container growing is every where. Of course, cool weather planting does well - greens, lettuce, spinach, carrots, potatoes, beets, etc. . Their average  of  frost free days are 59, that's tight.  A lot to learn growing at a higher altitude ...and a lot of patience. 

Today we are back on the homestead.  I started the day in the greenhouse since the temperatures reached 100*! What a difference from the 70's and some low 80* days in the mountains.

Spring lasted a long time here and I need to clean it up and out. 

Beans are finished and needed to go!


I was going to clean out all the beets but there were so many (and I already canned a case of beet relish!) I only took half to work with today. 



Took all the lettuce out and 1/4 of the mustard greens. 




I did have an audience.  Hello little friend. (Yes, those are Norman's whiskers in the picture - grin)


I did dry thyme and some oregano. 


Then it was time to deal with all those beets! 


First up , borscht.   


It turned out wonderful.  I have two quarts left, one to keep, one to share. 


Then canning a batch of pickled beets. 



I ended up with seven pints plus one to eat this week. 


There are more, some are in the oven right now as roasted beet with balsamic vinegar. I will serve with goat cheese to go with a steak dinner.


That's it for now.  Time to read... here is our book club read this month. 


I did finish this book and loved every minute of it! I won it from a Homestead Book Club. I will pay it forward and purchase another, I really enjoy it and was inspired by it. 



peace





No comments:

Post a Comment