Thursday, July 11, 2019

Mock Mojito from the Garden

It was 100* today! I wanted to just get cozy right here, in the cool house with a cool drink and not move.   I couldn't do that so I went for next best thing. Making a cool drink. 




I am going through a quick canning book -Preserving by the Pint by Marisa McClellan -this month.  Today is National Mojito Day.  I don't drink alcohol but I thought I would make mock mojitos to cool off from the summer heat.  So, I thought I would try her recipe for Mint-Lime Syrup.  I love that she describes her friend's mint as "energetic" and "enthusiastic". I mean, doesn't it just make you smile.  My mint is more of a Wild Child and does what it wants.



It calls for two cups of mint... no problem with my Wild Child. (be sure to pick over, rinse and check again... I had a fuzzy caterpillar in my bunch!)  I gathered the few ingredients it called for and got to work.  The house smells wonderful, fresh and green... and ...perhaps enthusiastic?
Check out her book on how she mixes mint, water and lime to create a refreshing addition to drinks. 


I let it cool and then refrigerated it.  I needed to go help someone who just got out of the hospital.

Lids popped on and into the fridge it goes. 



It was so refreshing as a cool after-dinner sip. I put ice in a glass, poured the liquid in a glass about 1/4 of the way, added sparkling water and a mint sprig.  Even Dude loved it. 



Tomorrow I will try the pickled garlic.

I dried parsley, thyme, oregano and more mint to store for the winter.

Dude arrived late from work, washed up for dinner... homemade pizza and a big plate of salad...oh, and a minty refreshing enthusiastic glass of mock mojito. 

peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment