Sunday, January 21, 2018

Snow day, sewing, roving and more.

Today was a snow day. We have been waiting for a good one for about a year now and we were due. The snow was blowing, icy and constant.  Our little church called to say mass was cancelled due to the roads.  Our priest says mass at two churches, two towns and relies on traveling between the two and more. 
The snow came and everyone here  dealt with it in their own way. 

Callie stayed in the mud room tucked away in coats.


Norman, like me, loves snow (as long as I am not driving in it) and went out with me to play and shovel a few paths to the animals. 


The storm blew Wilbur the ram's gate closed and he couldn't get to his water or his friends the horses. I went out and helped him out. He was covered in a couple inches of snow but for a ram, it's all okay and no problem for him. 







The girls continued to work. 


Norman played, dug and ran through drifts. 



The geese, too, love the snow and were constantly calling in Canadian and Snow Geese that landed all day across the road. 





I prepped my next project to finish. I have soooooo many unfinished projects. 


And I need to do something with these heart blocks. 


I love my sewing room.  I hang up projects I have tried.


This is one of my favorites... a sewing Zen Tangle. It's a technique where you pull the metallic thread up through the bobbin. 


I found some gems while cleaning. People give me a lot of sewing supplies that someone in there family may have had. On the left are new quilting needles I had. On the right are some very old quilting needles from England. 


Then this... I think they are scissor sharpeners. 


Look at the date on the bottom 1900/1903. 




Next up I need roving for a project tomorrow. Roving is pulled fibers from wool before it is spin. I have never made and I am still learning about wool. I just knew it needed to be narrow.


  I needed a way to pull it through something to make it smaller. I collect thread spools.  So, I took a tiny crochet hook and pulled some of my carded wool (a bat) and pulled a small amount through an old thread spool. 



It worked. 


I found a pixie hood here   I think it is adorable and very apropos for the cold here. 
Then time to crochet.
So I began tonight. 



 Dude spent the first half of the day watching football and the second in the tractor pushing snow and clearing a way for us to get out. 

Time to settle in with a movie from the library and my hook. 

I just put another log on the fire. 


peace




No comments:

Post a Comment