Sunday, January 14, 2018

Using our pantry foods we put up in the summer and fall

Dude is getting over a hard cold he had recently and I am trying to hold the flu at bay.  Everyone at work, as probably across the nation, has been sick.  I didn't want to go out shopping for anything so I am using our pantry foods to work. Here is one of the pantries. 


1) Honey -  I began the day with tea (I buy regular tea buy the case, I have many herbal teas including many we make ).  Today we are using regular hot black tea with lemon and honey.  (yep, a few bees were out and about today.)



2) Dandelion jelly - I make jelly in the spring with all our dandelions.  We don't spray them...ever. Leave them for the bees (making honey see #1).  Plus dandelions are great for salad with the leaves or a tea.  I have read it is good for your liver and kidneys but research that yourself.  My dad would eat the root too... clean, peel, and boil like a potato.  Okay, back to the jelly.  I like a light teaspoon of it in my afternoon tea. It was so delicious in an herbal orange spice tea!  Of course, it is good on toast or with cream cheese.



3) Rosaries (not a food but I do have a few -smile) -enough for everyone. Went for a prayer walk today. 


4) Green chiles  - I can, freeze, and dehydrate these in the fall.  I used part canned because those are hot and part from the frozen since they are mild. Today I made  green chile to can and take to work for lunch.


Yes, I added tomatoes. 



Also dinner was green chile casserole - lay whole green chiles in the bottom of a greased casserole dish 9x13 (I wanted it thick so used a 9x9) heat oven 350*  In a small bowl scramble 6 eggs with a small chopped onion, a 1/2 cup of milk , 2 tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper.  Mix in 1 1/2 cup  of cheddar (or mixture of cheddar and goat) shredded.  Pour over chiles and bake for 45 -60 minutes.  It is great with sour cream, and salsa...oh and cilantro from the garden.  Ymmmm cheesy goodness


5) Chocolate chips - a while back there was a scare of a chocolate shortage.  I bought bags of chips to store them in the freezer.   Tonight I am making a chocolate freezer cake. This recipe reminds me of my Grandma Winters.  This recipe is three ingredients... heavy cream, chocolate chips, and graham crackers. Take a cup and half of the cream and microwave for a minute.  Stir in a cup and half of chocolate chips.  Stir, stir, stir until all is melted and incorporated.  Leave that bowl for a moment. In another bowl take a cup of the heavy cream and beat/whip until stiff peaks.  Fold the lovely chocolate mixture gently into  the peaked cream.  Take a baking dish and layer with graham crackers and then chocolate mix and repeat until it is gone.  Cover and freeze. It is best if frozen overnight but who can wait that long.



It tastes like a chocolate fudgesicle with a crunch. 





6)In the dehydrator today is rosemary.  The stores have a lot of these plants around Christmas. I trimmed mine way down today. All the trimmings are in the dehydrator. The house smells great.




7) Mint tea.  We grow lots of this stuff and dry it.  I use for tea during the winter. Great as an iced tea in the summer and spring but in the summer and fall it is great in cooking , especially Thai food We dry it to put in our chicken coops along with oregano as an antibacterial  plus smells nice.

8) In the defuser tonight will be Frankincense.  I bought this oil last year for our Epiphany Celebration so the children could smell what it was like.  I am told it is also good in the defuser for the prevention and to fight off sickness.

9) Salt - Gargling tonight with salt water...keeps the cooties away  - smile. There is a row of the iodized salt.


Time to settle in and sew. Dude is watching the game after helping someone with their floor today. 

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment