Monday, January 22, 2018

Crockpot red beans and rice, greenhouse test and more

Last night as it snowed I went out to the greenhouse and put blankets over my greens and it worked. 

Spinach didn't freeze. 


Just a simple blanket over my beds. 


Snow piled up outside. 



But my plants stayed green.  I put the blankets over them again tonight. 



When it snows on the open plains it drifts. There are bare spots of ground and other parts have three foot drifts. Roads were snow packed and icy this morning but true to Colorado, it was all off the roads by noon. 



Pantry crockpot dinner - red beans and rice ... a tablespoon of oil in the bottom of the crock. Add one cup of rice and mix. Then add kidney beans, a small can of tomatoes, a can of water, tablespoon dried onions, a teaspoon of basil, oregano, and parsley.  Large pinch of salt and pepper.  Add hot sauce to your liking. Low and slow cook.

Turned on when I left for work it was ready for Dude when he got home...well, not. I forgot to plug it in ...hahaha. He plugged in, set on high and went to do chores. 3.5 hours later it was done.  Stuff doesn't always go as planned. Grin!


Turned out so good. 



For lunch I used my last jar of home canned chicken. (it's in a decorative green jar, trust me the chicken didn't turn green - smile)


When you can chicken it looks like this, not the mushy mess you buy in the can at the store. I won't go back to store bought. 


Made a rosemary chicken salad with a tablespoon of dried onions and one of chopped cherry tomatoes, add 2 tablespoons of yogurt and mayo, a squirt of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and a teaspoon of crushed rosemary. 

Next:
Used a pantry staple of marinated artichoke hearts and my canned pickled beets. 


A half cup of chopped artichokes, beets and cucumber. Add salt and pepper and fresh squeeze of lemon juice. It may not sound great but it tasted wonderful. 


Pretty cool recycle idea from my sister-in-law.  It was spinning away in the breeze tonight. 

I love it. 




peace

No comments:

Post a Comment