Monday, May 23, 2016

YaYa Farmgirls Make Fried Pies and Warping the Loom

The Farmgirls got together this morning.  Monday mornings are always the best for fellowship and learning. We travel down dirt roads and gather together at our friend Sunny's home. Sunny is generous with her knowledge and is a good teacher.  Today, we were making fried pies...peach and apple from dried fruit.  The fruit was reconstituted and a bit of sugar, cinnamon and spices were added.  We made our doughs, one with flour and one gluten free. 
Two cups of flour, three teaspoon of powder, one teaspoon of salt  and a fourth of a cup of lard were mixed together.  At the last minute each of us decide to add an egg for extra richness. 



After the dough had rested in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes, it was rolled out. 



Filling was added and edges crimped. 


We fried them in canola oil and lard for further crispness. 



The result is golden goodness! The pie to the left is gluten-free. 


We got approval from the peanut gallery. 


Perfect!


Later we went to learn how to warp a loop while the wee ones embroidered. 


The guinea hens were loudly keeping watch. A few of the geese were taken off last week by an owl. The guineas didn't take this lightly. 


Warping the loom.  We learned that messy is not necessarily a bad thing and it all works out.




I met my son for lunch and the rest of the afternoon it rained.  Nothing hard but just enough that I couldn't go out and plant.  So, I decided to try the pies on my own but with canned apples.  I drained them and spiced them up along with sprinkling them with sugar.  A book is popped into the CD player for a listen ... Into the Dark Dark Wood.  Ohhh such a good one.


The dough is a bit rough but I will practice. There are so many options for the future.... savory, breakfast, veggie...oh the possibilities. 


I wrapped it in parchment paper and pop it in the frig to rest. Its' a good time for some herbal tea....root beer. It's not really root beer but a mixture of ginger, cinnamon, wild yam, licorice, orange peel and more. 




It needs to steep. I went out and worked in the greenhouse. The weather is perfect for the greenhouse work and planted some tomatoes. Then back in the house to roll out my dough and fry the pies. 


Not bad for my first try on my own. I am finding that lard makes all the difference both in the dough and combined with the oil to fry. 


Well, the rain has stopped.  There is still daylight and Dude is tilling the land for more garden to be planted. I need to go help. 

Give fried pies a try.  My next attempt will be breakfast pies. 

peace, health and happiness






No comments:

Post a Comment