Friday, May 13, 2016

Things I know work

I didn’t spend much time on the homestead today. I met a few ladies to make greeting cards and went for a walk before work.  My friend, Sherri, leads the group teaching us how to make beautiful creations she comes up with. She is so creative and makes learning easy for us. 




So, instead of what I accomplished today I want to share things that work for me. (or maybe it is just crazy stuff my brain let's me think is working - grin)

Sleeping at night.
I am very lucky that I am married to someone who also enjoys a cooler than normal bedroom at night.  It helps us sleep and it is easier to add a blanket to the bed than try and cool off. We have an overhead fan going and a smaller fan on the night stand humming away at night.  This plus drinking a half of glass of sweet goat milk (it works with cow’s milk too) with Ovaltine.  My mom has been doing this as long as I can remember. The reason this works is milk has a bit of tryptophan – a protein that helps with our serotonin creating a better mood and better sleep along with the calcium that helps relax muscles. Tryptophan needs a carb to carry it quickly and the Ovaltine is that vehicle. Helps me sleep soundly.  (if you are going to drink goat’s milk get it locally and not from a can or a carton. Those tend to taste goatie!)

Tumors and fatty lipomas (a fatty lump). 
One of my sisters long ago turned me on to adding turmeric to my tea or milk to help with tumors. I wasn’t sure if it was working. I have two fatty lipomas on my side. Since I have been losing weight they now show. I began mixing a big tablespoon of turmeric with a little bit of olive oil and applying it at night to the lipomas. Not sure if it is the massaging or the turmeric but they are noticeably shrinking. The only thing.. .you need a shirt that you don’t mind getting stained yellow –grin.

Sunscreen - use it, slather it on, carry it with you.

Mint tea-Calms an upset stomach and helps with digestion.

Skin care.  I rarely wear any make-up except eyeliner and lipstick. At night I put vitamin e on my face, especially around my eyes, bridge of my nose between my eyebrows and around my lip to discourage wrinkles. Right now I am using Kensington Apothecary #2  facial oil instead of vitamin e.  I love to tell Dude, "hon come over and slide off my face." :-) 

Drinking water and a walk will lower my blood sugars.

Meditation helps with blood pressure, sleep, and menopause issues – hot flashes (ice water helps too. I don't have them much though). The body yearns for quiet from our hectic lives. Take a break from all electronic at least for half a day. We try on Sunday evenings. No phones, no computers, laptops, just family. No phones at meals.

Yoga helps with stress and flexibility. My mother, who is in her eighties, still does yoga and can easily place the palms of hands on the ground.

Prayer does work! Prayer by individuals, chains, groups… helps any situation whether to calm a mind or provide a miracle for us.

Nature walks or walks with animals improve my blood pressure, blood sugars and is a great time for prayer. (eek maybe I am being selfish by praying for others and benefiting... well okay, maybe a little )

Art and creating... having fun with it as much as I can. (grin... I often hear - Dammit Liz you have glitter everywhere.  I even found it in the car yesterday. )

Move as much as you can. Exercise, walk, swim… clean out a goat stall.  smile

Laugh every day. I am just a twit and know I can't take myself too seriously.   I love it when I freak out or get irritated and Dude will crack a joke. I can’t help but laugh.

Never go to bed mad.

That's it... pretty basic and it is probably like what alot of people know work themselves. 
Have a great night. 

peace, health and happiness

1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the tryptophan. I didn't know that.

    I'm with you on the laughing, too. A must have in any situation.

    ReplyDelete