Saturday, January 18, 2020

Keeping the green thumb going through winter day one

This time of year January always fools us , or at least me, into dreams of spring.  Today it is in the 50's * F . But winter is just pausing because February and March are our snowiest months!

I love to keep the green and gardening dreams alive through the winter. An indoor winter garden is just the thing for me.





Pothos  - each winter I repot or regenerate some type of plant. Last year it was dividing up all the Mother-in-law tongues and giving as gifts or selling them.   We also divided aloe. 



I love the mother-in-law tongues because they give off oxygen at night.  We have one on each nightstand to benefit us at night.  Today I am rooting parts of my large pothos. The cat knocked it over in a spiteful revenge the other day.  She was playing jungle cat and I told her to get out of the plants so she knocker it over.  Part of it fell off the climbing post and could not reattach.  I trimmed it up and took the trimmings to put in water to begin rooting. Soon I will have ten new plants. 


Sprouts - I love sprouts for sandwiches and salads. For some reason I only do this during the winter probably because we are so busy spring to fall.   Here we are for day 1.  I use a mason jar, muslin but usually use cheese cloth (until they begin to sprout) and then a mesh lid afterwards.  I simply put 1/4 cup of sprouting seeds in a clean jar, cover with good clean water ( I say that because our well water isn't the best and we buy water) and let sit overnight … that's it.






Hopefully this week I will get some micro greens on the heat mat and will share with you.  

I will post the progress of the plants above as well. 

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment