Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Fat Tuesday - chicks, cookie mix and other stuff

I took today off so I could take my mom to the hospital to have a small cancerous tumor removed.  We got up early (5am), after working late last night and driving mom to our house. This morning we drove her to her appointment an hour away.  All went very well and we were home by noon.  I was so exhausted that I had to come home and take a nap to regenerate.  

I am back up and running and now snowing lightly I went out to check on our new chicks. These are Cornish game hens.  We get about 30 each year to raise for meat.  They get to be 3- 7lbs.  We raise 26 for us and other we donate.  Turkeys will be coming soon. 



Fiona, our broody hen is still doing a great job and not giving up the nesting box...good girl. She has about eight eggs under her for laying hens. She gave me a good growl when I tried to get a picture.


I love when I get "mixes" for Christmas.  I like them because they are so convenient and I don't have to drag out everything to make a batch of bread, cookies or other food.  Today, I decide to make up cookie mixes to make for later.  Here is my batches of Mrs Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. I used half gallon jars since we aren't milking our goat right now.  The jars are waiting patiently for Peppy to have her kid in the spring and I thought I would put them to use. I put the oatmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and soda in the jar, laying it. Next, in separate baggies I put the sugars (brown and white) and the chocolate chips.  I will copy the recipe and attach to each one.



I managed to get the Easter invitations out today with a wee bit of help. 



Yesterday was Dr Suess's birthday. Today I celebrated by getting my grandson (4 years old) a book. He said he would rather have a Zombie Doll but will take the book if I had no doll.  *grin*  It will take time with this young one but we will convince him of our ways on the homestead.   (we shoot zombies with silver bullets... but all in good time, we will start will books -smile)


Happy Fat Tuesday. We celebrated with jambalaya with Andouille sausage and one of our baked hens. 


Added a bit more richness topped with eggs. 


It has begun to snow again. Time to read and warm by the fire... no zombies here. *wink*



And in just a minute...


peace

No comments:

Post a Comment