Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday February 15

We are getting ready to continue our remodel again. When we bought this place it was for the land and definitely not the house. It was bank owned and run by field mice and rabbits. The smell alone almost knocked us out when we came to look at the place.  We have been working hard to make it a beautiful place for us to retire in.  We are still young at heart and that strengthens us. 

Here is part of what the home looked like when we moved in. We lived in one room and gutted the rest for over a year.



We used beetle kill pine for the siding and had to hand stain each piece. Surprising results. 


We gutted and remodeled the kitchen... well, Dude did one long weekend I was stuck in Denver during a snow storm.  He joked he had been a little busy while I was gone. 


This was a bedroom. We took out the wall and made it our dining room. 



Today, Dude got working on plans for a front and back porch so we can finish the roof and some rain barrels. He is making the plans and calculating the cost. 



I finished quilting one of the bee quilts. Binding goes on tomorrow morning.  I loved this morning. After chores we worked together and listened to music. Very comforting.


Food
Monday's Fish Dinner I wanted to try something different. We love fish and I had two meaty pieces of wild caught cod in the freezer that was begging to be baked. I wanted this to have more of a Scandinavian taste to it.  Here's how I did it. 
Preheated the oven 350*.  In an 8x8 pan I melted 2 tablespoons of butter and spread it in the pan. 
Then I placed the fish in the pan. Pour a tablespoon of lemon juice over each fish. Salt and pepper the fish. Grate 1/4 of a cup of muenster cheese and evenly distribute over each fish.  In a small bowl mix a cup of milk and a teaspoon of yellow mustard.  Then pour over the cheese covered fish. Top the fish with Italian bread crumbs - I sprinkled a handful over both. Bake for 20-30minutes. Half way through I spooned the sauce over the fish and bake it until done. 


Here's how it turned out. 


Dude said the only thing wrong with it was... there wasn't enough of it.  Score!


Time to hit the sack.
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment