Friday, February 17, 2017

Pantry prep, books, and new spinning wheel

Came home to this going on! Dude got me a new spinning wheel and was putting it together.  It was such a wonderful surprise.  I can't wait to get start spinning my own yarn!






Prepping ...we prep but not for end of the world type event but for living throughout the year and we save money this way.  One year I did follow a list of certain items to purchase each week and when cleaning out my pantry I have found stuff that I still haven't used... 2 large canisters of baking powder, 3 canisters of dutch cocoa, rice  (I don't tend to eat it), 5 boxes of pasta  and tons of can fruit we don't usually eat.  So, here's my suggestion.  Store food you will eat - crazy thought I know but we don't all follow that - smile.  Here some of what I store:

Oatmeal  - I love the stuff and it is very versatile.  I do store both regular oatmeal and packets.
Water - on the homestead we always have issues with our well. Water enables you to use your toilets and we find it is not just for drinking, you need a lot for cooking, washing dishes, and yourself.
Chickens - we raise layers and meat hens.  We can and freeze their meat.  For two of us we raise at least 30 a year.
Onions  - we dehydrate them.
Beans - a 50 lb bag of pintos plus we can beans.  If black beans and garbanzo beans go on sale , I snag them up.
Sugar - we use a lot when raising bees. Good to stock up.
Vegetable oil- safflower, avocado, and sesame. 
Vinegars - we stock all kinds for various reasons.  White, apple cider, balsamic, rice and even a non-edible white for our pipes.
Garlic - fresh and dehydrated.
We dry a variety of herbs for food and teas.  We dry and freeze collards. We dry cabbage.
Sauerkraut - we can a ton of it and can never keep enough it in stock.
Grape juice - we can it.
Tea - a case a year.
Coffee
Flour
Large bags of almonds and walnuts (we store in the freezer)
Dairy - we raise dairy goats for cheese, yogurt, and milk.
Velveeta type cheese - guilty pleasure in beans and long shelf life.
Spaghetti sauce - so many uses and goes on sale for 10 for $10 I usually buy 20.
Peanut butter
2 cases of can tomatoes
2 cases of green beans
tuna
2 cases of corn
10 cans of cream of mushroom soup
10 cans of tomato soup -  we have found we like our own homemade
chicken stock - we can and freeze our own
Tamales - we can our own
Pork and Beans - 10 cans
Kippers  - canned smoked fish... I love the stuff... 10 cans
We can a lot of apples, applesauce, variety of pickles, beet and jellies. We dry many of the same as well.  We make our own powders too such as garlic and onion.

Frozen vegetables are on sale this week.  We dehydrate them. 

The point is to stock what you will eat. Don't waste your money. Can, dry and freeze whatever you can.
Don't forget things like soap, shampoo, dish detergent, neosporin, rubbing alcohol, band-aids, toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.   This is only a portion of what I have but you get the idea. 

Books :

I got some fun books from the library and in the mail.  

I need to educate myself for a better greenhouse. 


Oh, and this is only the beginning of something fun!


I love soup!


Time to read. Hope you have a good weekend. 
                                             peace


No comments:

Post a Comment