Thursday, December 22, 2016

New little ram, quick dish towel project and more.

Despite the overcast day it was an amazing day!  We went to look at a baby ram. I have always, since I was a kid, wanted a lamb and raise sheep.  Dude, being an old farmer said he hated sheep. When he was a kid they would let cattle and sometimes sheep eat and fertilize their old corn fields. He hated sheep because they would pickup weeds and stickers with their wool and leave them on their land. I figured with his thoughts about sheep I would never had one but guess what he surprised me with today?  I am smittened beyond belief. 


Once again we headed for the foothills to a farm that raised Romeldale CVM sheep. 
From the Livestock Conservancy: "The Romeldale is an American fine wool breed, and the California Variegated Mutant, or CVM, is its multi-colored derivative. Both the CVM and the Romeldale are unique to the United States and are endangered." 


They are so adorable in their dumb little ways!




And here he is ... the little ram we came to see.  I knew I had to get in there and deal with him myself since he would be mine. The sheep were a little skittish and were running around. I was afraid I would be rammed but found out these are a gentle breed and don't ram or butt people like other breeds or goats. They are docile, good mothers and live long. 


I caught him. 


Dude carried him to our trailer. There were no issues and he was calm the whole way home. 


When we got home he and Angelo hit it off just fine. 



Mr Buttons was very curious and came to see who the new family member is. 


Peppermint, our milk goat, wanted nothing to do with him.  He just wanted a hug and she kept running from him. 




He finally gave up and settled in with Angelo. We will breed him with other Romeldale CVM and use his wool. He will not be for eating. I am so excited about this new venture.


After I calmed down (I love, love, love my ram!) I came in the house to sew.  I had some potholders and dish towels I bought from the Dollar Store. 



Oops , it's sewn upside down!



It was so easy and literally took 5 minutes to make. You put a large gather stitch in the center of the towel and pull to the size of the potholder. Then sew the center of the potholder to the towel and add a button to have the loop go over and WALA!




Dude is working on gifts as well... beef jerky.  15lbs of beef going in the dehydrator! He makes the best beef jerky!



I'll finish today's post with three hats I made today for a friend. Two crocheted and one knitted. Hope she likes them! 



Tomorrow is a bit of work, taking my mom to the grocery store since I will be in the city and then home to sew an outfit for the weekend! So psyched! I love to sew. 

peace!




No comments:

Post a Comment