Sunday, November 20, 2016

Crockpot Barbecue Pork and Canning Cranberries

I went mass last night leaving today free.  It is Feast of Christ the King and a sign that Advent will be soon here .... not Christmas time - that begins on December 25 - but Advent ... the time of preparing.  The advent wreath will come out this week, the first Sunday of Advent is here next Sunday... already. 

Today we met some of our new neighbors . By neighbors I mean they live half mile away.  They were wonderful people and actually relatives of our son-in-law.  Yes, it is a small world.  Anywhooo, we showed them around the place and they were kind enough to listen to me babble about the homestead... I love it here. Angelo was gracious, Peppy, not so much. (yes, I am talking about our goats)  Thank you Charlie for introducing us! Hopefully we will repay the kindness and visit them soon. 

Recipe 
I put in a pork roast in the crock pot.  It ended up as pulled pork.  I am a sauce person and Dude is not. We both made sandwiches ...mine smothered and his, not.  We both had them on a hamburger bun and both loved them.  It is an insanely easy recipe. 

You only need a large onion, pork roast , apple cider vinegar, and your favorite barbecue sauce. 

Line the cock pot with sliced onion.  Place the roast on top of them. (sorry the pictures are so dark)


Mix 2 cups apple cider vinegar and 2 cups barbecue sauce. Pour over the pork and slow cook for 8hours. 


Awesomeness.



Delish!

Recycle

You know I love to recycle anything I can.  This was recycled   from someone remodeling their home. It was going to be thrown away.   So, I rescued it, repainted and put up, I think it looks great. 



Made a wreath from recycled shells last year. Careful, the shells can get awful hot with the glue gun. 


Little marble jar found at the thrift store. 


Recycled turkey feathers and a  old hose nozzle as a vase for them. 


Canning 

Another very easy recipe. I make this each year and it is no fail. 

2 bags of cranberries or 8 cups
4 cups sugar
4 cups water

In a large pot heat sugar and water until dissolves. Boil for 5 minutes.  Dump in the cranberries, stir once and listen for them to pop. You don't need to stir again. Let them all pop and cook down. I did about 20 -30 minutes.  Have your canning jars boiling in the water bath canner.
When the cranberries are ready remove the jars from the water bath and get them ready for the sauce.  Be sure to follow water bath directions for canning. 


Sterilize the lids.  Fill the jars, wipe the lids and tight the rings. 


I put them in the water bath for 25 minutes , since I live at a higher altitude. Don't they look gorgeous. Every time I make this I think it is too thin and runny but once it sits for an hour, it begins to solidify and look marvelous. 


Fence mending

Dude walked the fence and mended it as he went . He was glad he did, one spot the horse could walk right over. 

We rested a lot today. I was hoping to get more done but it is what it is. 

This week we will be celebrating Thanksgiving with one of the  turkeys we raised. He was 48 lbs and we had to cut him in half in order for him to fit in the over.  He comes out of the freezer in the morning to begin the thaw. 

Happy Sunday Funday!

peace  



No comments:

Post a Comment