Sunday, February 7, 2016

Super Bowl = Creativity time for me !

I wish they had crafts and sewing on television as much as they do football. But since they don't, I used my quiet time wisely while Dude watched the game.  It was great my daughter-in-law Cleo helped , even though, she is a big Bronco fan.

First up we canned those carrots we pulled up this morning and made into Pickled Carrots. Pretty basic. It is a small batch recipe.   Parboil the carrots in water first for 2 minutes. Then boil 1.5 cups each of water and white vinegar plus a teaspoon and a half of kosher salt. Then boil your jars. Remove them from the water. Add spices to your jars.  I put 2 cloves of garlic in each,  a pinch of pepper flakes, a teaspoon of pickling spices, a sprig or two (dried from this past summer) of dill.  My daughter-in-law added chilies to hers. Stack the carrots (about 4 cups) into the jars -it is easiest if you put the jars on their sides when filling them. I was short in one jar so added onions. Pour the water/vinegar mixture over the carrots. It is the perfect amount. Boil lids, put on jars and tighten rings. Put in a water bath for 25 minutes since we have higher altitude. If you are attempting this canning recipe follow the directions for a water bath. Remember - make sure all the lids pop after you have taken them out of the water bath. If they don't seal, don't eat them! If unsure, refrigerate and eat in about a week or two. (yes that's homemade mac and cheese in the background...yum!) 


Makes 4 pints.

Next up was Valentine candy. I saved a bunch of candy canes from Christmas because I knew I wanted to make these after I saw them all over the internet. I grabbed a bunch the week after Christmas from the dollar store.

 Melted vanilla bark in a glass measuring cup in the microwave  - 45 seconds at a time and poured it into the middle. I dotted it with a candy heart in the middle.


They harden nicely in the freezer. Okay, truth time. I opened the freezer and found they had all slid off the cookie sheet once they were frozen so make sure they are level...sheesh.  

Then I needed something to store them in along with a plastic bag. I had some muslin bags. I stamped them with cute Valentine stamps. 


I thought they turned out cute.


 
I still want to cut out these pants and fabric.


No comments:

Post a Comment