Thursday, February 11, 2016

Raising sons and Lent

Being a mom of four sons I am proud to say none ended up in jail or with any broken limbs..no casts were signed in our house. Miracles do happen. But that is not to say that they weren't suspended from school for wearing key chains or given court dates for skate boarding illegally but that is a whole other post.

Even so, I still tried to bring them up with Catholic traditions, CYO, CCD and tried to instill any way I could a good way of life. During Lent I will give a few examples of different things I did with my boys or as they are affectionately known as , The Brothers.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God,
     and put a new and right spirit within me.”
Psalm 51:10

One lesson I tried to instill in my sons was the meaning behind confession. I tried to teach them it was like cleaning the soul and having everything in order for the spring. So, to give them an example we would carve soap during Lent. Ivory was the best because it is soft and at first I had them use plastic knives. As I talked or read to them some story I thought was important for the season, they would carve. We kept the shavings and put them in terry cloth pouch I  made each of them and later sewed up for their bath time.  I'd like to say they carved crosses, fish or doves but they didn't. It was usually swords or skull and crossbones or something like that but, hey, they sat still and we were a family for an hour or so.

As they got older (my sons are in their 20's and 30's) you begin to think all is lost. They don't go to church, they tease me when I close  phone calls with , "Don't' forget your prayers", and they say they only believe in aliens. But last month my oldest was visiting.  As we served the meal I didn't want to make a big deal about prayers so just got quiet and was going to say my own when my son said, "Mom, aren't your going to say grace? Here let me help.  In the name of the Father and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Bless us Oh Lord and these thy gifts which we are about to received. From Thy bounty, Through Christ, Our Lord. Amen."

I was dumbfounded. My jaw had dropped and a tear rolled down my face as I looked up at his smiling face that said ... "yes, Mother, I remember my prayers".
Never give up the faith.

1 comment: