Monday, November 30, 2015

Canning Tamales

We woke up to a cold morning  My back was out so it was slow going.

Every Monday I meet with other women of the plains to can, learn to milk goats, make cheese, spin, crochet, knit, whatever we want,  along with to laugh and just have fun.

Today we were making tamales, plus, I had to get over my fear of my pressure canner. We have a great teacher.  It was a long day but a really good time.  Everyone made their masa dough and pork different, so each will have their own unique taste.  I  cooked a pork  yesterday with salt, pepper, onion, salt, garlic and water. My masa had chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano, and salt. I did experiment with one jar and put crushed dried tomatoes in the dough. We mixed it with lard and  stock - some with pork, others with chicken - mixed it good (okay, you need a little muscle for this part). We learned you can't over knead or stir the dough since there is no gluten, so get in there and mixed that stuff up good.  Slathered that on beautiful corn husk with a row of pork.  It took me a few tries to get the technique just right.  We rolled up our corn husk into nice neat packages and folded the ends. We were able to put 6-7 tamales in each quart jar.

We put them in the pressure canner with water (about 1/2- 3/4 full) for 90min at 15 lbs of pressure due to our altitude.   Here is my pressure canner.

Here is the monster canner (wink).





It takes time but as we made them we got excited over the varieties we could make in the future... chicken, with chilies,  cheeses, shrimp... and gasp... dessert tamales with apples or peaches, with a masa of cinnamon and sugar all topped with a cream cheese drizzle of goodness! The possibilities were endless.

My recommendation is to find a good recipe and give these gems a try yourself. Better yet, gather some friends and make them together. You won't be sorry.

Before I knew it Dude was there to pick me to head up north to see some clients, head to the library and a quick stop at the store.

It's Meatless Monday and Football night at our house,  so,  dinner was Piled High Nachos with pintos and green chilies and onions.  Then topped with cheese and our homemade canned salsa.

Football night is my sewing night. Looking forward to cutting piece of lattice for a quilt and crocheting a bit.

ps...I overcame my fear of pressure canners. Nothing exploded and I am excited to do more!



4 comments:

  1. Hi-- I'm wanting to pressure can my tamales, but would like to know more about the process you used. Did you add any liquid to the jars? If so, what kind & how much? I was worried I wouldn't be able to get all the bubbles out with them still wrapped in husks; did you have any issues with that? Thank you for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did add a very small amount of water, only about a 1/4 of the jar or a couple tablespoons of hot water. There is no problem with the husks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lay the jar on it's side to tuck in as many tamales as you can. We are able to get about 7 and wide mouth jars are the best for us.

    ReplyDelete