Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sunday

We slept in until 7:30am. I had woken up around 3am with my hands aching from plucking all those chickens and my legs from standing all day. Ibuprofen helped me get back to sleep.

I was hoping for a day to sewing and maybe canning some salsa.  I knew we had to return the trailer and drum of water we had borrowed from a friend but that was it.

We returned the drum, went to breakfast and then I headed to the grocery store. I was hoping the chicken fairy would magically appear while I was gone to clean and wrap the hens to freeze.

They were still there when I got home, sitting in the cooler under a vat of ice. I ignored it and took a twenty minute nap.

When I got up they were still there. What the heck, do fairies and elves not visit this part of the country? I cleaned the kitchen sink and filled a tub with cold water. Gross. These fatty hens were a bit greasy and still  a little fuzzy.  It took a good long time to clean and freezer wrap 14 chickens. I was so happy when I was done.  I labeled them, put them in the freezer and scrubbed down the kitchen.  I wanted no threat of salmonella hanging around.

I went out to plant more garlic (I am not sure where I planted the others is a good place. It is hard and dry soil but then again out here on the plains what place isn't hard and dry? ). When I got out to the greenhouse I was sad to see the tomatoes had all wilted and were dying. There were so many green tomatoes I gathered them up to bring in the house. There weren't as many red tomatoes but I am able to make a small patch of salsa. It took longer than I thought but I was able to later plant the garlic, some lettuce and spinach before the sun went down.

Crockpot candy, a mixture of peanuts, chocolate and almond bark was heating in the crock and ready to be removed. It made a few dozen and is cooling on the counter.

There is still time to read a book before bed but I am not sure I have the energy left for that...my life-force is fading fast.

Tonight's reading - finishing up A Discovery of Witches and Hit by a Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment