Sunday, November 15, 2015

Getting ready for winter

 We began the day getting a few groceries and hay for the animals.  Winter is coming this week and everyone has be warm and safe from the cold.  Pens and barns were going to be cleaned out . We started the rest of the day by taking the goats for a walk.  Skippy does very well with a leash so I decided to try it with Angelo.  He took offense and decided I was the one that needed leading and pushed me away from the rest of the goats.

 
Next up we checked on the bees, giving them  sugar water and put hay around them to protect from the upcoming drifts of snow. As you can see, there is still a lot around despite 60 plus degree weather all weekend. Somehow, I managed to get stung while we were there. I put baking soda paste on it and you can't even tell I was ever stung.



 
We got back to the house and Lou Grant (the youngest of the cats) proudly showed us his latest kill.

 
The five chickens I boiled yesterday still needed to be shredded and bagged up to be frozen. Each plate was one laying hen. Three more are boiling away to be bagged up later.

 
I saved the wishbones to decorate later.

 
The broth was also saved and put in the freezer.  Looks too gorgeous to waste.

 
While I worked in the kitchen Dude was cleaning the goat pen and making it warm with new, clean hay.

 
Skippy approves, well, he should, the stinky goat.

 
It is national Bundt cake day. A lemon cake was made.

 
Lou is wooing me to the sewing room but I think I will finish a knit hat for my awesome grandson. Yes, feet will be up and a warm blanket covering me to begin the evening.
 
 
Dude is out in the greenhouse puttering away.
 
It was a busy Sunday but very nice to be with Dude all day (more or less).  Pork roast is in the oven with potatoes and carrots.  Salad will be our side with the bundt cake for dessert.
 
We pray everyone will have a good week. Stay safe and warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment