Saturday, August 17, 2019

Worked on a little bit of everything today.

Today, Dude is nursing a horrendous chest cold. He insists on beginning the floor project.  I am sticking to my prior plans.  If the homestead is my "job" and I am the manager/owner... I need a weekend too.

Well, first I need to go feed the animals and make sure their water troughs are scrubbed and filled. I drain them and fill them up on Saturdays and scrub them once a month. The homestead doesn't really just stop for the weekend - smile.


 I get the water down low enough so I can push the trough over to drain and clean. 
 Sorry the next few pictures are blurry Molly, the Suffolk lamb kept nudging me.


I worked with the lambs for a bit getting some of the mud and dirt of Molly.  Prudence didn't want any help in that area -she looks like a pig that just rolled in the mud. I will work with her tomorrow. I did get Molly looking much better. 




I made a stop in the greenhouse and was so surprised to find two large cucumbers hiding in between the plants. 



Dude stuck around in the greenhouse to water .

I wanted to make and can maraschino cherries.  This is the end of cherry season.  Colorado has beautiful orchards of cherries. There are quaint little places along mountain roads with small cottage shops and stands selling cherries, pies and jugs of juice.  I love visiting them.  scraaaaatch… I love those places but I bought mine from a grocery store in a nearby town.  I am using the recipe from Living Homegrown but I could have use just about any recipe as most of them follow the same procedure and ingredients.  It is the almond extract, that most will tell you, give the cherries their distinct flavor.

I pitted the cherries but left the stems on them. 

 These are pitted. 


 They look and taste wonderful. 


I was lucky to have one of my sons and girlfriend come over for a bit.   Then it was time to nap (I am one of those 15 minute solid napper), eat and sew! 

I finally got those pants made.  Someone was mad I was in the sewing chair. 



Done.


She wouldn't even look at me. 


I am also following the FQS Cross Stitch quilt sew along. They are on block two and I got those done. It is a beginner quilt and even though I am not quite a bigger, I think I  am more apt to finish a quilt if I follow each week with a group. I am totally only using scraps. 



And began another block cutout for this quilt....


That's it for today. I hope there is a little bit homesteading inspiration somewhere in there for you.

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment