Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Another canning day, what I'm reading and back to school band days.


The day is started with a big mug of coffee in hand and slicing beets to be canned.  I was in a fog most of the morning and a stiff upper back after hauling the rock slabs to get to the greenhouse yesterday.  Soldier on, I told myself.  Despite the dog begging to come and play, I wanted to get the canning done early.   

I put a book on cd player to listen to. 


It is also a day of living in the present season.  Last year, after 8 years of living here,  we added A/c thinking we were going to sell and move to the mountains. So far we are still here.  This summer with temperatures in the upper 90's I began using it.  My husband hates it and challenged me not to use it and live as a homesteader.  The season of the day is canning season. I had the jars boiling no a/c and going for it. (the winter we only use our wood stove).  I adapted and decided to can in the morning and enjoy my "spa day" over the steaming stove. Outside it is the season of "monsoon" ...the rain has created a wee lake and mosquitos have found it.  The coyotes recently got most of my guineas but I have guided my lone survivor over to eat up all the bugs. I do enjoy the quiet of the day and going at my own pace. Canning continued. I enjoyed seeing each tie-dyed design my happy little vegetables would give me.


As I waited for the jars in the water bath I peeled more carrots...a short stubby variety.
And finally , nineteen delightful little packages ,that, in the coming seasons, will be a welcome gift. The last batch was a spiced beet , this one is a simple sweet canned beet.
Reading... I love this book. It is step by step way of container gardening.
On the homestead music is important and useful in so many ways. If you can play in instrument then it is an added bonus! I got done canning just in time to go help with the band boosters of the high school graduated from. It's an hour away but worth it. When I was in high school this is what the band looked like. It was so big they had to take the picture from the roof of the building.
But today there is only about 25 people in band...total. Our symphonic band class was bigger than the band is today.
I feel it is very important to keep the arts in school. Somehow we need to ignite the spark in kids to get involve and learn music. Anyway, it was good to be back and helping.



peace

No comments:

Post a Comment