Friday, August 16, 2019

Greenhouse, canning cherries, and sewing prep - update 8/16 Friday

I am still testing the whole "retirement" waters.  My instead of thinking of it as a retirement, I going at it as the homestead is my job and it is. I got up at 730am, had some tea and granola and headed out to the greenhouse. I moved the two eggplant plants since the cucumber became rather possessive of them and insisted on hugging them. 


Then I planted seeds for my fall garden.  I use this pole, pressing it in the new soil I put down, to make fairly straight rows. This isn't the only box I planted, just the only one I took a picture of. When sweating is pouring down your brow, you just keep on working to get done as fast as you can. I just tell myself this is my gym/sauna and it's all free - smile. 


I planted these and more radishes. 


It took a couple of hours. Thank goodness it was a cool morning. 



We have a lot of scallions growing so I pulled a few for dinner.  Norman pulled up an onion for me. 


It was a bit overcast today and very muggy. 


These are the teenage hens Susan M gave us.  I am getting them used to roaming.


So, I let them out in the morning. 


They love to get out of their fenced in area and each morning can't wait to go explore. 



Just before dusk I put them all back in for the night so no critters get to them.  My new chicks should arrive next week - 15 assort layers and 5 African Guineas. 


Someone was tossing this microwave stand so I took it for later repurposing and up-crafting. For now it houses my baby plants.


Grabbed a couple zucchinis on the way in. 


I wanted to can more of the pickled cherries and try out my new cherry pitter. This thing is amazing. It took me about 12-15 minutes to pit 2.5 pounds of cherries. I loved it .





Once again they turned out wonderful.  Tomorrow I am making and canning maraschino cherries. 


I had made these microwave bowl holders a while back...


I found them very convenient  to handle hot jars and putting on the rings before putting in the water bath. 




Check out this awesome pallet we got with our flooring!  We asked if we needed to return it (the lumberyard charges us $20 if not returned) but they told us to keep it. 


Made a fun salad for dinner. All but the croutons are from the garden. I roasted the zucchini and onions then tossed with croutons, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. 


After dinner I prepped fabric for a Saturday Sew Day tomorrow.  This fabric is prepped and starched. 


I found a bunch of my Halloween fabric and put them up to get inspired. 


FINALLY getting back to this quilt. I have alot of catching up to do. 


And sew up these pants. 


That's it.  Time to settle in with a book. 

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment