Sunday, August 5, 2018

Recycling feedbags, mugs, and what to do with apples.

A rainy muggy Sunday

We try to recycle whatever we can on the homestead.  To do what we can in our own tiny section of the world is important to us. A point was made today...you go to the grocery store and get your goods in a plastic bag to bring home to use only once for that purpose.  We need to carry our store bought goods in another way.  We will recycle the plastic bags.  Today I recycled feedbags for groceries, carrying stuff to work and family .  Dude saves them for me after feeding the animals. We have lots of them and we need to reduce our carbon footprint. Today, I , again, began to sew them up. If we have Thanksgiving here this year, (we have enough turkeys growing) these bags can be used to carry home leftovers. 



I used another bag to plant potatoes. 

I put cuts in the bottom for drainage. 


Made some cuts down the sides a bit. 


Put dirt in the bottom 1/8 of the bag.  Put in cut potatoes (red) eyes down and covered with dirt. Potatoes like the dark.  As the potato vine grows I will put more dirt and straw over it until the bag is full and ready to harvest potatoes. 


Back to the bags... yes, this is how my scattered brain was working today. 

I got to work and began to focus.








I didn't wash the bags (you really need to and I did with the second batch) and the animals seemed to really like me today. The cats sewed with me, the dog licked the bag as I turned it and the lambs wanted to hang around when I went out to feed the chickens. 


Tada!




This was one of my favorite mugs... until it got a crack in it. My aloe is reproducing like crazy... again, so , I use the mug as a planter. Filled the bottom with gravel and the rest with dirt. 


Look! He has hair!



My son gave me a coleus plant. Today it got a trim to make 3 new plants.  I can't wait until it roots in the water so I can transplant it to dirt. 



Someone at work gave me a bunch of nonsprayed apples from their trees.  Apples do not like to touch each other so I had sort out the bad apples and spread them on the counter until I used them. 


Look how happy that apple is!  Organic produce are like us... the look beautiful without anything added, pretend or covering up.  The flaws life creates makes it attractive.


Today I made apple crumble. I had to make the pie filling and the crumble. 


It baked up nicely (needs ice cream - smile). The "white" bits you see is melted butter. 




Happy Sunday. 

peace 



No comments:

Post a Comment