Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sunday, canning, chickens, jelly and some clean up

The freezer is full of meat chickens.  We lost a few this year but we did end up with seventeen in the freezer. They weighed out at 3-7 pounds. They look pretty healthy and we are so grateful for the food it will give us.



Went to mass today and later turned off everything at 3pm for Divine Mercy Hour.  I used the time to pray and pick dandelions. 



In jars today  - Canned mint jelly and dandelion jelly.  There isn't much meat that I like besides the local pork, lamb and our own hand raise chickens.  So, to go along with our lamb,  I made mint jelly. I make it every year and love the stuff.




I have always wanted to try dandelion jelly.  My Dad loved the idea of living on the land... literally, and every so often, he would make us a dandelion salad or get us to try dandelion root.  In honor of my Dad, whose birthday would have been next week, I picked dandelions.  I friend of mine who knows alot about food nutrition,  was visiting this weekend and brought me a fruit and vegetable cleaner he makes.  I gave it a try on my mint and dandelions today. 





We don't spray our dandelions and we only had a few this year due to a lack of moisture but I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try.  I did add a wee bit of orange rind to mine. It turned out perfect and the taste is similar to honey.  




Next up was to put dinner in the over. Simply baked one of our chickens with salt and pepper. In the last 10 minutes I put some of our Thai dipping sauce that I canned last year over it. Yum!




Books - I love this book with recipes from the 1700's... really food like on the homestead. I can't wait to try many of the recipes!


Dude had Poo Duty today... hey, it's not all fun on the homestead but when you have a tractor it's not so bad.




This rooster thought he was king of the poo pile! poor soul





Looks great Dude.


The chicken and the Nova Scotia Hodge Podge is finished and it's time for dinner. (Did I tell you I am smittened with Nova Scotia? Definitely on my bucket list to visit. )





Time to settle in for the evening... a book, some thread, a bit of fabric... you know the drill. 

peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment