Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Learning to spin wool and making sauerkraut

Dude got all the caissons poured today and made a platform in front of the well house with the leftover cement. 
Meanwhile...
The  Farmsisters met today. We hadn't met in a few months and it was good to see everyone.  We worked on wool.  My friend Sunny made this with a variegated wool she spun. Gorgeous. 


Some crocheted and another embroidered.  


I set up my wheel and learned to spin. It is not as easy as it looks. Working the pedals and concentrating on feeding the wool was mind-bending. Practice will be a must for me. (I couldn't tell my teacher that concentration was difficult with the Journey song Wheel in the Sky playing in my head! All I could see was Steve Perry with hair that looks better than mine ever could... okay everyone in the band way back when hair looked better than mine... the Seventies live on if only in my mind,but I digress...oiy)


Learning to thread the wheel. 


Okay, I am just a beginner but  I did getting something close to looking like yarn spun.


Later in the day....
Remember the cabbage I bought after St Patrick's day? Today it was made into sauerkraut. 
I love sauerkraut!




We filled an 8 gallon crock and then left it to sleep for 6 weeks and grow into something wonderful ... and fermented. 


And all the leftovers went to the birds. 




                               
 I belted out a few, "Here chicky, chicky", and the herd came running. 



Tomorrow's project... plant some onions. 


Time for dinner... stuffed tomatoes and grilled cheese sandwiches. 

I took the leftover cheese we had for the sandwiches and made tuna salad for the tomatoes. 
The goat cheese added a zing to the sandwiches. 



Parsley from the garden. 


Dude loved it. 


Oh, and I found this stuff...well, it was on sale and I thought I would give it a try.  I mixed it with almond milk and loved it. 


Time for dishes, tea and the tube... Season one of Call of the Midwife. 
peace



No comments:

Post a Comment