Thursday, June 13, 2019

Garden update plus rototilling vs building the ground up , learning the tractor, what am I reading/listening to, and chicken chili from ingredients in the pantry


 The garden is in full swing... and steam.  When I first walk in the greenhouse, even in the morning, it steams up my glasses and the camera.  Condensation drips from the top of hoop and the plants love it.


Peas are ready to be picked and beans will be coming on soon. Most of the peas never make it to the house since Dude loves to eat them as he picks them. 





I will be canning beets this weekend and hope to try a new beet relish recipe I found. 


This lettuce is done and was pulled out this morning.  I left the onions. 


A couple varieties of pumpkins and some eggplant are started. 




I can't keep up with these mustard greens.


It took me a good hour to wash up radishes, carrots, beets, cilantro and 6 bags of lettuce.



Our cactus is just beautiful lately and particularly happy since it came from my son's garden.


Next up, just after giving the kitchen a good cleaning, was learning to drive the tractor. 

I had an audience. 





All the recent rain has given us some great growth.


Off we go...

Dude taught me the operation of the big machine and safety tips (yes, there are a few... you don't want to tip the dang thing over!).  I am lucky to be married to someone raised on a farm.




We got a lot done before thunder and tiny bit of rain came in for the evening. 

Quick recipe from the pantry. 

I had a half of a roast chicken... chopped up. 
A jar of my canned pinto beans. 
A jar of chilis I had canned.
A big spoonful of sliced jalapenos.
A chopped sweet onion from my sister's garden.
A handful of dried okra from my sister's garden.
A whole jar of salsa - I ate all ours and had to buy a jar.
A can of whole tomatoes with it's juices. 


Sauté onion and then add all the rest and let simmer.


Serve with cheese and sour cream. 


I did a comparison to the rototilled land to the land that I built up.

Here is the rototilled... it gets hard, cracked and dry.


Oh, and floods. 

Then I started gardening this way... I used some of my wool (or you can use mulch).


Laid down cardboard...topped with wool (you can use mulch). 


Topped with our compost and then dirt. 


I did not flood and absorbed any rain we have had.



I learned this type of planting from this video at Bealtaine Cottage.

Here is what I am reading...



Listening to this book. 


Hoping for a day of creating tomorrow... after a bit of garden work.  The garden is never-ending. 

peace



No comments:

Post a Comment