Saturday, June 22, 2019

Canning Beet and Cabbage Relish , a temporary fence and weather

Our weather has been very wet and cool.  We woke up to temps in the 40s.  It rained all night and off and on all day.  The mountains were getting snow all night and most of today. 

Dude did manage to put up a temporary fence until the town gets the sewer for the school done and puts up a new fence for us.  Dude used the auger  to dig the holes and then hand pound them in the ground with a steel stake driver .  


He got the whole thing done in one day.  Norman, the dog, was very happy to have a bigger area to run without the threat of leaving the property. 



I got the canner out and began to can beets. 


I pulled enough out for my first batch of beet and cabbage relish.  I didn't even put a dent in the lot and will be canning again tomorrow!






I got the recipe from Healthycanning.com. The recipe is Red Cabbage and Beet Relish.  I used regular green cabbage.   I did add horseradish and a small handful of mustard seed. I think tomorrow I will add some of our garden radishes.  It is suppose to be used on brats and burgers but Dude liked it so much it wants it with chicken and soups. 




It made a full dozen and I was done just in time to go to mass.  



I came out of mass to cold and rain.  As, I drove home I saw this funnel cloud. It didn't quite touch down, hung around a bit and then slowly went back up into the clouds. 



It's going to be another chilly night but next week we have temps in the 80s forecasted. 

peace 


No comments:

Post a Comment