Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Garden, Free stuff and What I've learned today

It has been so hot here lately that we welcomed the "cooler" weather today.  It will only be in the 80's today. We have been babying our plants in the near 100* weather and hot dry winds.  Wild fires have been popping up every where. In fact, I saw a fire pop up in the median of the road on Sunday. 

We are drying roses again today. As you can see, the more you snip off the heads the more they bloom. 


While I was there the cats brought me a gift. 


The outside tomato plants are finally perking up. 


Our new friend, Kerouac -turkey, is still hanging around.  She flies about the property but always comes back to roost with the hens. 


These two hang out with me when I garden. 


The beets are doing great. 


More tomatoes.


Lettuce is picked today. 


Free stuff.... As a homesteader we put a lot of the money we make into the homestead.  But that doesn't mean we don't want to have fun or   move forward in life.  My work offers to pay for school in related subjects to our careers. I got my first degree last year and now I am finishing my last class to get another degree.  I am so surprised that only a few people go for this offer. (Plus, if I put it here I will study more and get it finished! smile)

Another freebie... I joined History Colorado (the Colorado History Museum) with that you get all this free: 
The free train tickets alone are work the price! We plan on taking advantage of these activities this summer. 

There is so much free stuff in our state that I will try and post them as we take advantage of them .

What I learned today:

Permaculture - plant borage and chives at the base of our apple tree to create a mini ecosystem. Borage for fertilizing and chives as a pest repellent. We have a lot of borage growing and I read that you can even just cut their leaves and drop them like mulch.

Bees - Honey bees can not pollenate tomatoes.  It has to be done by native bees or bumblebees. There is no nectar and they can't get to the pollen. It has to be shaken off by wind or native bees.  And 70% of bees live underground or in holes. 

Time to study. 

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment