Saturday, June 9, 2018

A visitor, recipe and a craft

While I was making breakfast this morning I heard a familiar knocking sound. I went out to find out what it was and sure enough, there was a heritage turkey wandering our property. It was very hungry and very thirsty.  We used leg hooks to capture it.  I invited her to stay and gave her a nice lunch.  She seems very lonely and followed the animals all day. First she followed the guineas, then the geese , next the sheep (they were suspect of her) and later made a home near the horse. 


For now I have named her Kerouac.



The lambs were so hot in their woolly jackets.  I know it was well over 90* today. 



Summer tried to stay cool in the barn but the flies were bothering her today.



Checked and yep, Kerouac is still here. 


The corn is growing fast across the road. It has no sprinkler on it.


The mint is going crazy so I decide to create a drink to keep us cool today. 



Mint limeade. 

Put a cup of fresh mint leaves in a 4 cup container.  Add 2 cups of boiling water and let steep for 20 minutes.  Strain.  Add 1/3 of a cup of sugar and dissolve.  Add 1/2 cup of lime juice and 2 cups of water. Stir well. 


Serve with ice.  So refreshing on such a hot day!


I did get to one craft today. A friend at work as has been giving me her yogurt containers each day after lunch.  They are glass but have no lids so I had to figure out what to do with them. I decided to decoupage them. I found some ideas at Mod Podge  and decide to change it slightly.  They made a candy dish with this method, I decided to make holiday lights.  I got  red, white and blue tissue paper (two very young ladies at the craft store did not know what tissue paper was when I asked where it was!)


Cut them into small squares. 


Using Mod Podge I put a thin layer all over the jar then added the paper and another layer of  Mod Podge over it all with a sprinkle of very fine glitter. 


Added tea lights and we are ready for Flag Day this coming week!




Remember the pickled radishes, onions and cucumbers I made a week or so ago? They taste great on a chicken sandwich with mayo!



Well, it was a busy day.  We had to go run errands today and living in the country, it is never just a quick job!  It took hours.  Time to relax. 

Peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment