Monday, March 12, 2018

Norman the dog, chicks, and dinner.

For some reason I can't get pictures to load so you will need to go to our Facebook or Instagram to see pictures until I can figure what is going on. 

Norman, our 8 month old black lab and well over 60 pounds, was getting into trouble all weekend. He found and chewed more shoes.  I let him outside and told him to go play. An hour late I called him in the house. He came running with a large stick, so big he had trouble getting it in the door. We have so few trees so I wondered where he got it. I looked out the window and  my young peach tree was missing a large limb.  errrrr! Later, I decided to go turn the compost . When I got out there I found dog poop piled in the compost. I yelled at Dude thinking he was dumping dog dropping on the pile. This is a huge NO, no... no cat or dog manure goes in the compost.  Dude swore it wasn't him. I looked out later and Norman, has made that his own private toilet area...OHNORMAN.

I got a lot of spring cleaning done this weekend on one end of the house while Dude finished the ceiling in the kitchen. He decorated it with sections of wainscoting  and seven lights. Along the edge of the ceiling he built a shelf and along the shelf he placed LED lighting.  When finished he proudly displayed his wooden planes and a large tank ... yes, in the kitchen. It is beautiful but he does make me laugh. 

So far we have 10 new laying chicks under warming lights - Australorp  and Silver Laced Wyandotte . They are a week old. We haven't lost one. 

We ordered 40 meat hens but due to the cold in Idaho, only 34 made it and over the first night 4 more died. The company only charged us 80 cents a chick.  We are down to 30 chicks but due to the warm weather we are having and keeping them under a warming lamp  they are  do well. 

Our new warming mats came in the mail this weekend. This week we will begin planting seeds.  The apple and austrees (a type of willow) I started a month ago continue to do well but the strawberry starters don't seem to be doing anything. 

Dinner last night was a lamb steak from our lamb. It has been so good that I have decided to raise at least one this year, maybe two.  We had it with green beans and our spinach with strawberries, red onion, and walnuts. 

Craft today is a St Patrick's Day card with an Irish tea bag packet stuck inside and cutting a dress out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment