Friday, July 8, 2016

Even when you are tired the homestead must go on...

I am so tired this morning.  I work evenings and couldn't get to bed until 1am.  My husband is up at 530/6am , I get up at 7am.  Dude is already out milking and tending to the goats. I get up, shower (I gotta wake up somehow!).   Usually a tea drinker but today I make coffee and Dude's breakfast. Perfect timing - Dude  brings in the milk just as I finish making his egg sandwich. I strain and jar up the milk while he goes back out to finish watering all the animals. We get 20 minutes to talk about our day and what needs to be done. I have to clean the chicken coop today but first the cat wants attention and won't let me pass until she tells me about her night (apparently there were many poohkas - Irish shape-shifting critters my mom used to tell us about) and she need to tell someone!  So, I stop to show some love.

I head to the greenhouse and the gardens to turn on the water and crank up the tunes to classic rock before heading to Coop Poop Duty. Axel Rose is begging the chickens to take him down to Paradise City and Homer the Toad stops for a listen.



Homesteading is hard work and you have to make it fun otherwise  it becomes a drudgery. Sweat is dripping onto my glasses as I carry bales of hay to the coop. No time for the gym but I consider this my upper body work out day  - wink.



Okay, back to cleaning the coop...  My weapon of choice to attack the job is the snow shovel. 




It makes cleaning quick with a few swoops. 


New straw. 


Some left for my sad tomato plants.


Not like the ones in the greenhouse. 


They have babies already. 


For me, I have to balance homesteading chores with things I love to do too.   Time to finish a couple of projects before heading to work. 


Hope your day is fabulous. 

peace, health and happiness





No comments:

Post a Comment