Monday, March 14, 2016

Canning beans, drying veggies, and other stuff.

Sorry I have been away but I have been resting since surgery last Wednesday. The date was 3/9/2016 a day of the solar eclipse and the new moon -  opportunity for growth, and healing... perfect. 

                                        Canning
Before all that, we did get some canning done last Monday.  Canning beans have got to be one of the easiest things to can.

One cup of beans to each quart jar and teaspoon of sea salt but optional (do not use iodize, it can produce a cloudy and bitter product).


Not much water is needed.

Lids are sterilized.

And in they go...15lbs of pressure (due to our altitude) and 70mins.



Goats

We started milking the goats yesterday.  My goat, Pepper, has been very ornery. She tried kicking and first but found I would still keep milking. So today she used her body weight to lean into me.  It was like she knew I was in a bit of a delicate state and was nervous of her falling on me. I did get the job done but not without a few choice words and a bit of scolding her.

It was all well worth it once we tasted the milk...smooth and sweet. Thank you girls for sharing.

Ya-ya farmgirls
Since today is Monday we did meet with the Ya-ya Farmgirls.

I couldn't do much but I did bring some hand sewing. The sisters were adamant that I stay put and sitting with my feet up. It was a time of rest, sisterhood and great conversation.


Food Storage

Tis the season of corn beef and cabbage.  We had an abundance of cabbage and onions today.  My sister dug right in and began slicing onions to dry and dried cabbage.  A beautiful friend, who works in the food industry, saved some large jars, the kind pickles and mayonnaise come in, for us.  We will store a bunch of our dried goods in those. 





We sent the onions to dry out in the greenhouse. No need to kill us with the fumes.

The rest of the day, from noon on, was full of long naps and rests.




No comments:

Post a Comment