Friday, March 4, 2016

Recycle , reuse

I go in to have surgery next week so I am working on a lot of my bigger chores.  This morning I cleaned out the chicken coop.  My adult hens are slobs and when they eat they aren't very efficient. They get feed everywhere. I don't like to waste it so as I clean out the coop I take the old straw and wood chips and put them in the chicken yard where they can scratch and eat any of the feed they had leftover.
Then instead of getting out a new bag of wood chips or straw I went over to the carrot garden.  It looks like winter may be over and the carrots are almost finished.  I took the clean straw off the garden and put it in the coop.  
Now the magic begins.  My new friend KC shared this gem on FB. She found a story online that using herbs and such in the coop are good for discouraging bugs. "A few different companies make blends for their nesting boxes and if you read the packaging they say great for coop floor for same reason."  Well, I love drying herbs all year usually for cooking and teas by the buckets full.  This morning I mixed up lavender, roses and mint .  Tossed it on top of the clean straw in the coop.  I have to say , and I have never said this before, but I have the best smelling coop on my county road!

My hens will think it is Valentines Day all over again!


My coop inspector , Lou the cat, approves.





2 comments: