Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Goats update and making ice cream

The baby kids are now safely snug in their new homes in TX.  Peppy, aka Sally, is the only goat we kept.  She is a handful, jumping on everything and everyone she can find.  Running Water, the mom to the goats that left has been in mourning and cries off and on all day... Peppy takes advantage and jumps on her when she can.  I go out and sit in a lawn chair part for meditation and part to soothe Running Water.  As long as I go  out to show her some love and pet her head neck while telling her she is okay.  She eventually saw her sister in the field and went off to be with her. It is all part of homesteading but it is hard to see. 


Before they left, my sister and her husband got a quick lesson on medicating the goats, hoof trimming, and overall maintenance for good health.  Hoof trimming is always a chore with our big boy Angelo. We did not give the  mom's any meds since we are drinking their milk at this time.







Today I made ice cream from goat's milk.  It is a simple recipe I found here and then added all of Dude's favorites.  Definitely not something I can eat but I know he will enjoy it !
I can see many variations of this ice cream in the future.  No more store bought for us....Sorry Blue Bunny.



Oops... maybe I put too many goodies in it?



Next up queso blanco cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment