Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The importance of like-minded friends

One of the most important part of living out on the prairie is finding like mind people to help support you, your vision, gain new ideas and most importantly ...friendship.


Every Monday about five of us "farmgirls" or as we like to be known as "Ya Ya Farmgirls" meet.  Last Monday we met, talked of family and how everyone was doing and to plan our gardens for the year. Our lists were long.  We love our gardens.
I started planning with my "kitchen" herb garden. This garden is right outside my back door. I grow basil, mint, cilantro chives, parsley, dill, rosemary, lavender , roses and thyme. Adding borage this year. My mom grows outstanding oregano and sage, so I trade with her.   Spring is coming and it is an exciting time of year.  March 17, St Patrick's day is always a queue for me to plant lettuces, spinach, cabbage, collards, radishes, carrots, peas and beans.  It is all just the beginning.
Last year we lost most of our gardens due to hail .  I hope Mother Nature is gentle with us this year.
Another subject was more laying hens.  We always can use more hens.  One Ya Ya found a deal on Blue Ameraucanas. Another sister would pick them up and I had an incubator that could be used. 
We all work together to help each and make each other stronger.  I love their positive attitudes, laughter and unbelievable support.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it's so great to get together with friends - a support group is so helpful and helps rest the soul.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being new in the area, I would love to find a group like you have.

    ReplyDelete