Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Gardening, canning and cards

I headed out first thing this morning to the gardens.  Dishes and laundry were done. My brother-in-law was up before anyone and kindly fed the animals. So for me, first up on the to-do list was drying basil and parsley. We need to be well stocked for winter. 



Cleaned, cut and ready for they dehydrator.  It was a chilly rainy day... perfect .


Next I headed out to the greenhouse. I needed to cut back the eggplant, pick radishes and beets. Then I planted 2 kinds of lettuce, swiss chard and chives. 







Look at the HUGE beet. We will use it too! 


Looks like 5 or 6 beets grew together. 


I heard something rustling behind me and saw Dude trimming the tomatoes. He can't just sit and rest. He didn't stay long but it was nice to have him with me.  Besides I think all the green was good for him.


I had been stacking trimmings to take to the compost when I turned around next , my brother-in-law was ready with a pitchfork to help out.  Family are a blessing. It was beginning to get humid and hot in the greenhouse. 


We worked hard and well together.  Soon it was time to go in the house. 


I made a radish sandwich for lunch. It was surprisingly delicious. 


Yesterday, we picked zucchini, more radishes and carrots.


We needed help cutting the giant beet. 




I got jars and began to make the vinegar spice water for the beets while my sister began peeling and cutting the beets. 







They turned out wonderful.


Dinner was refrigerator clean out night … aka leftovers so no one had to cook.
It was late but I did get a few cards made.  My sister was going full guns making cards on her side of the table. Can't wait to see them!


It is still a wee bit early... time to read.  Tomorrow I head back to work but plan on planting a few pots of cuttings.

peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment