Sunday, September 23, 2018

Using our garden and pantry for a fun dinner and crafting day

We spent the day doing what we like to do.   Dude, watching football and old cowboy movies .  Me, cooking and crafting.

Dude brought in Summer's saddle to have in the house. His heart is rather heavy not having her around. 




After chores were done this morning we headed to town to get stuff for dinner and a few things for Dude's new adventures in train building.

My mom was heading to her 68 class reunion today.  Her and her classmates still get together about once a month but this time it was an actual reunion.

That got me thinking about meals my mom would make on a Sunday afternoon.  She is a darn good cook.  Usually we had beef on Sunday... a potroast, potatoes, carrots... and if my Dad was home (and not overseas -military) we would have dessert... a cake, pie, or a fruit baked crisp. So, I thought I would combine it all with the fall bounty we have and make beef stew.

Stew was put in the crockpot. We don't usually eat beef but for some reason it just sounded good on this first day of fall (would have made lamb stew but I think we ate it all...we love lamb).

Here's the recipe.

1.5 lb of beef stew meat
flour, salt and pepper to dust the beef
6 garden carrots  pieces - garden
1 medium zucchini medium pieces
1 large onion coarsely chopped - garden
4 red potatoes quarter and cut again into bit size pieces
2 celery sticks sliced - garden
1 bay leaf
1 cup frozen corn - I buy when 10 for $1
1 can of tomato sauce- I buy by the case
2 cans of water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce


Toss the beef with the flour and salt and pepper.


In a skillet with a tablespoon of oil brown the meat on all sides.  Just brown the meat don't cook through.

Then place all the ingredients (including the beef) into the crockpot. Cook on low for 8hours or high for 4 hours. I cooked mine on high for 4 hours.



Pumpkin Cupcakes.
1 butter pecan box cake mix  - I buy 10 for $1
1 can of pumpkin puree - it has been in the pantry for a month - smile.
1/2 cup of yogurt.

Mix all together.  Bake at 35* for 12-15 minutes in cupcake pan.

Let them cool and top with basic butter frosting and sprinkles.


They turned out more like muffins. 


But ohso good. 


Every month my sister and I send each other a "craft" to do.  Here are this month's.

Decorative balls. You can do these for any season but they look great with a group of them in a bowl.




And a dollar store potholder and kitchen towel sewn together to make a fun hanging towel. 

 Sew a gather in the center of the towel. Then sew the potholder on top of that seam. 


Add a button on the opposite side of the loop for hanging. 


This one I will keep... put the button on the wrong side... grin. 


Crafting will continue through the evening while Dude watches football.

Thought for my journal tonight... What 3 Amazing things happened today? 

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment