Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Quick dessert, a visit to the landfill and memory of moving

One of my goals is not only can what we have but also use it. (Imagine that...seriously, I know people who can but don't use the stuff)  This quick recipe uses an extra pie crust I froze and a jar of our apples. For the filling I mixed a jar of slice apples with a tablespoon of sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon and a tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir up.  Heat the oven 350*.  Next, I rolled out the pie crust dough. Using a wide mouth ring I cut out the dough and placed in cupcake pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake them for 12 minutes or until golden. Then place a few spoonfuls of the apple mixture in each. I cut lattice from the leftover dough and placed on the apples. Back for another 12 minutes. 
They turned out perfect. I had one and Dude ate the rest.  Made 8 mini pies. 
I topped with caramel sauce. Tomorrow I will post how I made that... you won't believe how easy it is. 






Living on the homestead we have to take most of our large trash to the dump. Last week we had to drop off a couch.  It got me wondering how many people have actually have visited a landfill and know what it looks like.  ...and smells like ... ohhhheeyyyy it is a ripe smell! 

Large pits are dug out to dump everything in and then built up with trash. It reminded me of a park I used to take my kids to back east.  It was named Mount Trashmore.  It was a large park of a big green hill where people went to picnic and fly kites.  Little did many know that underneath was a landfill covered and grown with greenery.  It's journey probably began like the pictures below.









Large rows of glass.  Hopefully it will all be recycled and reused. 



Sharing a memory.  When we moved here we did have chickens and bees we needed to move. I am so grateful my kids and friends for helping us move the coop. 



and now we are adding on... I can't wait to see how it turns out.



Time to make things happen. Have a great day. 

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment