Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sunday Funday - Canning -Thai dipping sauce, baking bread, garden and more.

My friend Mundie came over to learn and help on the homestead. He was going to help Dude butcher roosters but Dude was under the weather so we got to work on other stuff. 

Bread was put in the machine  - Parmesan, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.  


One of our hens was in the oven. 


The bread turned out perfect. 


Mundie wanted to learn how to make a year's worth of laundry soap. He learn to make that quickly. 
Then we were on to canning one of my favorites... Thai Dipping sauce. I have made it for the last four years and it goes quickly.  It is great over rice, chicken, for dipping spring rolls, over sauted cabbage and so much more.

Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1 TBSP pickling salt
6 cups of apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1/2 cup hot pepper flakes
9- 8oz   1/2 pint jars

Prep your jars. lids and rings.  Combine salt and garlic.  
Heat vinegar to a boil.  Add sugar to dissolve. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.  Add garlic, salt, and pepper flakes.  Ladle into jars with a 1/2 inch head-space.  Process in a water-bath 15 minutes, 25 for high altitude. 



Then we made jalapeno goat cheese - queso blanco with a twist. 



Mundie helped in the kitchen while Dude was bundled in the big chair.  The chicken turned out perfect. 



Our Thai dipping sauce sealed well. The lids popped all afternoon. I love that sound. 


We cleaned out the collards from the garden.  Looking to plant mustard greens or herbs. 


Squashing doing great. 


We picked our first baby pumpkins. 


Thanks Mundie for coming over. It was great fun and glad to share what I know. 

Later I went out to see where I wanted to plant more of the fall garden when I found this little girl somehow trapped in our chicken coop area... well, really the other animals told on her. 
I looked out to see the horses, goats and lamb out in the pasture, scared, with Angelo in front telling me to look at the coop.  Gotta love Angelo.

Dude heard me yelling and came out to help. 



The owner showed up right when I was going to go looking for her home. 


Thanks Mundie for coming over. 

There is still time for nap and the skies have clouded over. 

peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment