Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Winter brings out what we have stored.

We have passed the shortest day of the year last month but winter is only just beginning.  During this time of year we live off what we worked on drying and preserving over summer and fall.
    
 Homemade cookie mix. Yes, cookies were made then then stored away for the weekend celebrations. 


Dried oranges for our day's water.



Bone broth with dried onions and garlic. 


Dude did open a new jar of pickles and devoured half of them this afternoon. It was nice to hear him say he was glad I knew how to can. 


We also have to make sure we have enough fire wood to keep us warm.  It is the only way we heat our home.  Since it was "warm' (30*) we split more wood to keep the wood stove going.  Oh, and if you are the one that wakes up in the middle of the night, then you are the one to put another log on the fire. *smile*





It is my job to stack and bring in the house (I pretend it is like going to the gym).




In December our hens stop laying due to molting. We often wonder if they are cold but know that they aren't since their new small pin feathers are warmer than the larger feathers.  We always threaten them with the pot if they don't soon begin to lay but, as always, patience wins out and we have eggs again. We are back in business with our eggs. (Remember, I traded a tv for eggs and need to deliver them)


It is also a time of finishing the many projects I began during the year. Made a bunch of floor pillows for the animals.  Sorry, I don't allow dogs or cats in bed with me... but I do make them pillows from recycled cedar chip bags I have been saving. 



Oh, and I did find time to walk these two characters... mainly because Felonious (the one closest to the camera) grabbed my coat collar and tried to pull me over the fence to come walk. Wilbur just follows wherever we go. 


Tomorrow it is back to work and just in time for another winter storm. Good thing we have fire wood for the week.  Take care of each other. 
peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment