Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Pumpkin ... time to cook up and get out of my entry way!

Winter has arrived! It was 6 below when we woke up. Brrrrr. Our drinking water out on the back porch froze. I brought in a couple bottles to thaw. 

Then it was time to roast up some pumpkin while Dude headed out to the animals and bring in some fire wood. 

I know what you are thinking... pumpkins, this time of year?  Yep,  since we grow our own pumpkins there are too many in the fall to use right away . We use them as decorations and store them for later. I often think of our pioneering family and what they must have done.  Well, here it is February and I decide to roast up and freeze pumpkins plus make some roasted pumpkin seeds. It will taste great in breads, soups, casseroles, and so much more. It is rich in magnesium, zinc, along with aiding in heart and liver health





Compost bowl. 

The oven is preheating at 375*.  I cut the pumpkins and was surprised how fresh they smelled and plump they are!  
Look at those seeds!



I removed the seeds, sliced in big sections and baked for about an hour or a knife can easily slide through them. 

Removed the skins once they cooled. 
 Whirl.




Whirl in the food processor and bag (freezer bags) up in one and two cup servings.  Label and freeze. 


Now on to the seeds.  




While I was working on the pumpkins , I soaked the seeds so the pumpkin strings could be removed. 

Set oven to 325*. 

I need to get these badboys dry so put them in the oven... dry... for 15minutes.  They should come out not slimy.  Toss them but keep them on the cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, bake for 15 more minutes then toss in a bowl salt and pepper (I like freshly ground plus adding a dash of the lime powder I made last week).  Ready to snack! 

(some of them were popping in the oven like popcorn!)


peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment