Saturday, November 30, 2019

Cardmaking day, continue working on scrap quilt and getting ready for advent.

I left early this morning to head a couple of towns over to go card making.  I have been snowed in and couldn't wait to see people again and create. It snowed again overnight but the forecast  was for possible ground blizzards(where there is no falling snow but the winds are so high it causes a ground blizzard from the recent snows). It was a big possibility for our area but the wind wasn't even blowing when I left .  Plus, I went only about 20 minutes away. 



Card making was so much fun. My friend Sherri does such a great job teaching us and having all our supplies ready. 








In the middle of making cards my husband called to say it's a blizzard and you are not coming home, the highway was stopped.  I started cards at 10am and was only halfway through. It should be okay by the time I finished, right? 


By 12:30pm I looked at the county road updates and the highway was still closed. It was strange, only 20 minutes away no breeze and the sun is shining.  The alerts all over Colorado and Wyoming where coming in... road closure, road closure, road closures... car pile-up, fatalities.... I went to my son's home.  It was great to see them but I am sure they wanted their day back. 

I finally took a chance and left at 4pm. There were only a few of us on the road and the roads were clear.  But the time I got to my exit it was clear there had been some issues earlier.  The highway was closed at my exit and beyond.  The alternate highway (the back road and highway) was closed too. The department of transportation sighting too many fatalities for the amount of highway people working.
I made it home only getting stuck in drift in our driveway! It was still windy here but I am glad to be home.  The weather this week is to be warmer and no snow! Yay. 


Today we celebrated St Andrew.  Patron saint of fishermen, Scotland, Russia and Romania.  "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." This is the first place I have lived that was not near an ocean.  A couple of my sons were born in Hawaii, one in Virginia Beach, I was raised on the coast of  North Carolina, before that, my younger sister was born in California.  My dad was a meditative fisherman, he would cast a line, light his pipe and wait.  I had hoped for a lovely fish and shrimp dinner to celebrate, but due to getting home so late, I had kippered herring and cheesy cauliflower.  oy. I had also planned to back and mount this Santa Fisherman I did a while back. ohwell, project for another day. 

But I did get the sashing done on the Ultimate Beginner Quilt I  did all out scraps.  Tomorrow I hope to put the border on it. 

Tomorrow begins Advent and I am so exited.  It is a season of Joyful and Hopeful waiting for Christmas. I remember the nuns teaching us it was a time to clean our house and get ready for a wonderful guest... Jesus. It is a time of kindness and sharing HOPE. 

December 1st begin lighting the Advent Wreath and start a Jesse Tree with my religious education class 4th -6th graders. I will post what I am doing with the Jesse Tree - it will be my first year doing this. 

Celebrations along the way:
4th  Feast of St Barbara
6th St Nicholas Day
7th Feast of St Ambrose
8th Immaculate Conception
9th  Juan Diego
10th  Our Lady of Loretto
11th  Our Lady Queen of Angels
12th Out Lady of Guadalupe
13th St Lucy
14th St John of the Cross
21st  St Thomas
CHRISTMAS!
then we begin Christmas Time with the 12 days of Christmas to Epiphany. 

So, we hope you will join us in this very happy time of  Preparing and Celebrating.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment