Monday, September 16, 2019

Garden, Ravioli Soup,Biscuits, Beginning Felting - a Pumpkin.

Each day begins with the animals.  Dog, cats, chicks, chickens, and lambs come first. There is something so grounding being with the animals first thing in the morning.  We make sure they are fed, watered and loved.


Today is a Monday. I water Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  It is dry and arid where we live.  We are doing our best to plant and GROW trees. We have lost many due to draught or hail storms.  This year we are doing well... honey crisp apple trees, 3 aspen, elm, willow, and this year I added two Chicago hardy fig. I contacted the Colorado Extension office and asked if they will be okay in the winter.  Here's the answer:

Here's the response to your question:
Thank you for your inquiry. Chicago Hardy Figs are compatible with Zone 5. If they have been properly planted in the ground (not in containers), are in a suitable area, and are well established, they should winter over with the correct mulching, winter watering, and protection from extreme conditions. If they are in containers they should be brought in to the greenhouse.


I am going for it. They are not in containers. Leaving them outside and mulching the heck out of the area and snug it in for the fall for winter.

We are on well water. Know that I am very grateful for the water we have but … it is full of sodium and bicarbonate.  You can actually see it some areas on the soil... it looks like a patch of snow in the dirt. But water we must... Here's how everything is doing.





I need to replant the lettuce.  A cat got in the greenhouse and used it as a litter box. 





From the greenhouse today, looks like I will be making relish. I already have 24 jars of pickles.


I did pick up a few things for dinner too. 



Breakfast... veggie biscuit sandwich.  I found a recipe HERE that I had tried before with great success.  So, I gave it another go.  They turned out great and I used a glass to cut the dough . Next time I will you a wide-mouth ring to get larger biscuits. (my sister gave me that idea).



Breakfast was onion, tomato and goat cheese biscuit. 



I saved six for the week and froze the rest.  It made two dozen. 


House chores were done. My goal daily is to be done by noon , today was 12:30pm. 

Time to have fun.

Craft time - felting a pumpkin. My youngest grandson said he wanted me to make Halloween/Fall things not so "pookie" aka spooky.   So this week I am challenging myself to craft not so spooky and gory crafts.

I had an audience at the front door. He tapped as I  felted.







I added a little yarn vines.  I have a bunch of roving that I can't wait to try and make more. 


We went for a walk this evening to see if we could tell where the coyotes were hanging out and getting into the field behind our house. I think we found it. But on the way there , trucks hauling corn have been leaving big dirt clods on the road... I twisted my ankle on one leg and went flying.... tore my pants at the knee on the other leg , landing hard...skinned my knee and hands. No big deal. I kinda laughed because I haven't fallen like that since I was a kid.  Norman, the dog, was by my side nudging me to get up and get on home. 


Dinner was from the garden... a big salad...


Plenty of vegetables from ravioli soup.  I used the recipe from HERE .


Added garlic toast. 


Time to clean up and get ready for tomorrow. 

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment