Thursday, September 12, 2019

Canning salsa and recipe

We are filling our canning pantry up fast for the fall and winter months.  We are so blessed with good weather (usually we have a threat of snow looming over us at this time) and a good (even if  my rows aren't as straight as Dude's -smile) producing garden this year. 

There is a whole row waiting to be filling with salsa. I LOVE salsa and it goes fast in our house.  I need to can at the very least 20 jars. 


I did head out to the garden to get peppers. 


And scallions, I had picked an onion last night. 


I did have some tomatoes ready with many green ones on the vine. I headed to our nearest farm market and got a half box of tomatoes. 


I did also find to giant zucchinis in the garden. 


Right after me, Dude brought in more cucumbers. 



I picked peppers...


And more peppers...


and more peppers...



Every thing went into the food processor.  In days before I had a food processor I cut everything by hand , so that does work just as nice. 





I'm halfway there.


Here's the recipe:

Restaurant Salsa
g = we grew in the garden this year to inspire you to grow your own food.

4 garlic cloves (more or less it's up to you)  -g
1 chopped onion -g, I used a white onion in the first group and scallions in the second
3 cups peppers - g , mix it up I used a green, 3 jalepeno, and 3 Thai chilis
6 cups of tomatoes g, again I mixed it up (it was around 20 tomatoes)
2tsp cumin
1/2 bunch of cilantro - now I like the stuff, you can reduce if you like
1 tsp of dried oregano g
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 cup white vinegar
6oz can of tomato paste. 

I whirled  all the veggies  in the food processor , add it and the rest of the ingredients to a large pot and cook until boiling. 

Fill your jars (it will be 5-6 pint jars).  Be sure to follow the proper canning procedures (washing jars, boil, filling correctly... )
Process in a water bath.  I am high altitude so I did 40 minutes.

peace 




No comments:

Post a Comment