Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Salt Dough Ornaments

One thing that reminds me of Christmas during simpler times is flour and salt ornaments.  It is a simple and easy way to make a clay to make ornaments to remember.

Tuesday , for me, is Tuesday with the Toddler.  My grandson turned two today.  We set out to go spend the morning with him before I had to go to work. Any time with my children and grandchildren is precious.  Even if I saw them every day it wouldn't be enough for me.

Last night I made a few ornaments so he would have some to paint.  I also wanted him to make the dough, mold and cut out ornaments too.  I brought the ingredients in a large ziplock bag.  Here is how I did it:

1/2 cup of flour ,  1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup water.  (this is easily doubled) The best part is to mix it all together... by hand. It comes together well and quickly.  Roll it out with a rolling pin. Cut or shape to desired ornaments.

Bake 300* for one hour... yeah, that's the bummer part.  One hour... ugh. That's why I made some the night before since I needed to get to work without being late.

Here are the ones I made last night. 




Here is the small bit of dough we made today. 


We used markers but paints would work great.  I only had a small amount of time before work. 





We did use glitter spray over them later. I did have him do hand press ornaments so I could have one as he great older. 


Kids love to use a rolling pin. 


I hope you give it a try. It was fun and simple.

peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment